FROM WASHINGTON: News for the Enlisted, August 17, 2015
With Congress out of town, news on legislative issues is slow, but there are other items we hope will be of interest to you. There’s a new claim that the VA is denying health care to combat veterans because of a computer error, there’s a way you might be able to get free tickets to some event you’d like to attend, and the VA has announced new training programs.
In addition, the VA has made an announcement about the problem of chemical exposure in the drinking water at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, something that went on from the 1950’s through 1987 and exposed thousands of people to dangerous chemicals. Anyone who was stationed at Camp Lejeune during those years needs to read the article below.
1. Is There a Concert You’d Like to Attend? Check Out VetTix.org
2. Article Says VA is Denying Health Care Enrollment to 35,000 Combat Veterans –
VA Denies the Accusation
3. VA Launches New No-Cost Training Programs
4. VA Expands Review of Chemical Exposure in Drinking Water at
NCADV’S TAKE A STAND and Lobby Day EVENT
NCADV is kicking off Domestic Violence Awareness Month with a national event to raise awareness about domestic violence-Take A Stand. NCADV’s Take A Stand event will occur October 1st at 11:00am in Washington, D.C. on the Capitol grounds. Here, victims, activists, volunteers, legislators and dignitaries will participate in standing up and speaking out about domestic violence.
“By taking a stand, we intend to remind the nation that there are still countless people–victims and survivors, their children and families, their friends and family, their communities-negatively impacted by domestic violence,” says Ruth Glenn, NCADV executive director.
- Work with your community leaders to hold a local event.
- Observe the moment of silence with us at 11:00 am EST in tribute to the thousands who have lost their lives to domestic violence and the countless others impacted.
- Wear purple and encourage others on your campus to wear purple and tell people why.
- Turn your profile picture purple on Facebook and other social media and share with friends why you are Taking A Stand. (Twibbon will be available soon, check NCADV.org/takeastand for details in the coming days!)
- Take a pictures of yourself using the following hashtags to Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or another social media with one of the following hashtags: #TakeAStand #TAS, #TASNCADV, #TakeAStandNCADV, #TAS2015, #NCADV, #IStandwithNCADV. Share these images and postings with us via NCADV’s social media outlets:
Interested in starting a career in information technology (IT)?
Already have IT experience, but want to take it to the next level?
A VA-sponsored accelerated learning program (ALP) may be right for you!
As a transitioning Servicemember or Veteran, you are eligible to participate in an ALP in IT at no cost, without using your GI Bill® benefits.
ALPs help you quickly gain the skills and certifications you need to qualify for employment in IT, one of today’s fastest-growing industries. You also will receive job placement services upon completing a program.
ALPs are available in locations across the country, and online. Browse the ALPs below to find the right fit for you.
Applications accepted starting August 17, 2015
Class size and availability is limited
- Coley & Associates – Front End Developer Boot Camp
Front-End Web Development Boot Camp will prepare you for an entry-level career in Web development.
- Full Circle Computing – Ready-4-Success in IT Boot Camp
The Ready-4-Success in IT Boot Camp provides students with training in a hands-on laboratory environment to prepare for two national certification examinations.
- New Horizons of St. Louis – Computer Learning Centers
New Horizons of St. Louis Computer Learning Centers provide coaching and online training to prepare students for approximately 25 professional IT certification exams from leading software, hardware, networking, and Web service companies and professional organizations.
- Three Wire Systems, LLC – VetAdvisor IT ALP
The Vet Advisor IT ALP will prepare you for more than 80 professional certification exams from leading software, hardware, networking, and Web service companies and professional organizations.
- TLG Learning – IT Help Desk Job Training Program
The IT Help Desk Job Training Program is an eight-week program designed for transitioning Servicemembers and Veterans looking for an entry-level IT position who have the aptitude, desire, and willingness to learn the necessary skills for a successful IT career.
- TLG Learning – Network Support Engineer Job Training Program (F5)
The Network Support Engineer Job Training Program (F5) is designed for transitioning Servicemembers and Veterans with strong IT experience and/or a college degree in IT.
- True Information Assurance – CyberAcademy
Rapid growth in cybercrime has created an extensive need for cybersecurity professionals. True Information Assurance CyberAcademy provides applied training and knowledge based on the National Cybersecurity Workforce Framework.
Download VA Learning Hub and APL FAQ Sheets Below ↓
Join the USO of Illinois in support of the local military community at Clark After Dark, Chicago’s only downtown block party!
The USO of Illinois, through the support of Alderman Brendan Reilly of the 42nd Ward and Boss Bar gives summer its last “HOO-AH!” by rocking the block at Clark After Dark. The USO of Illinois’ annual Clark After Dark block party celebrates America’s military service members and their families. Proceeds from the event benefit the USO of Illinois’ programs and services that serve over 330,000 military personnel and military families in Illinois.
The event will feature live music by 16 Candles (Voted Chicago’s Best Cover Band!) and Liquidated Damages, military vehicle displays, food and drink specials, raffle and much more! USO Clark After Dark is held in River North at 420 N. Clark Street on W. Hubbard Street, between N. Clark and N. LaSalle.
VIP tickets available! This VIP Experience gives you access to all VIP areas, great food from restaurants like Chicago Cut Steakhouse and Bub City, and special drink options. Prices will go up at the door, so get these VIP Presale Tickets while they last!
A non-profit organization, the USO of Illinois is fully supported by the generosity of the American people. The USO’s Clark After Dark gives Chicagoans an opportunity to support U.S. Armed Forces members and show their appreciation.
This event is free for active duty, guard and reserve military with a valid military ID.
Come down to River North at 420 N. Clark Street Thursday, August 20th between 4pm and 10 pm!